Resurrection Sunday

“See you Sunday.”

I bit my lip, nervously, and nodded heartily, “Yes, yes.”

She had been holding my right hand ever so tightly. Looking up at me from the hospital bed, smiling, not letting go. The medicines made her brain a bit of a fog, but she shook through the cloud into what seemed like a moment of absolute clarity, looked me in the eye, and said with confidence, “See you Sunday.”

I wasn’t as confident as she was, but after a bite of the lip and glance up to heaven for help, I squeaked out a few affirmations, with as much truth in them as I was able to find.

I didn’t know if my weekly Sunday greetings with Miss Velma would ever happen again. Through old age and poor health, she made her way to church every week, and her kindness was always a presence to count on.

As I left the hospital that Thursday afternoon, I was stuck halfway between hope and grief. This morning I was informed of her passing, and my dropping heart told me to move towards the latter.

She had died on Good Friday, along with Jesus, I suppose. Easter Sunday service felt empty and full all at once. Sniffles echoed across the sanctuary. Death was close. We mourned and celebrated death and resurrection all together, perhaps even more intimately than expected.

But Holy Week teaches us to persevere through the darkness and hold on to the hope of dawn. It is Resurrection Sunday, and glorious life is all around.

Velma carried the life of the Resurrected Christ in her life, and Christ carries the life of Velma and all the saints in his.

Thank you, Miss Velma, for a most powerful Easter Sunday. You have loved well many of the people I want to love. You have given me life in the form of friendship and in all that you have given to the well-being of the Church. You have been Christ, resurrected, to me and to many others. Your life is felt in the life of the congregation you have loved.

Today I hold onto the hope of resurrection, and give thanks for the life of each saint that passes into the lives of others and the life of the body of Christ.

We have met this resurrected Christ today. You probably shook his hand on your way into church, or sat by her in the pew, or maybe he served you your coffee this morning. Perhaps, Christ held your hand, looked you in the eye, and said, “See you Sunday.”


Yes, yes. See you Sunday. 








Comments

Popular Posts